Marguerite W. Spruce, MD
Adjunct Instructor of Surgery
- Trauma surgery
- General surgery
- Critical care
- Exploratory laparotomy
- Hernia repair
Common Diagnoses Treated
- Traumatic injury
Medical School: University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO, 2015
General Surgery Residency, University of California-Davis, Sacaramento, CA, 2015-2021
Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, 2021-2022
Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Association of Women Surgeons
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
American Medical Association
Awards and Honors
- 2020, UC Davis Health Excellence Award
- 2019, UC Davis Health Clinician Health and Well Being Award
- 2019, 1st Place, Military Health System Research Symposium Poster Competition
- 2018, Research Grant Award, Air Force Medical Support Agency Office of the Surgeon General
- 2018, Quality Improvement Project Award, UC Davis Graduate Medical Education
- 2017, AAST Military Liaison Committee Scholarship
- 2011-2015, United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship
Areas of Research Interest
- Firearm injury prevention
- Health care disparities
- Spruce MW, Gingrich AA, Phares A, Beyer CA, Salcedo ES, Guralnick S, Rea MM. Child-rearing During Postgraduate Medical Training and Its Relation to Stress and Burnout: Results from a Single-Institution, Multi-Specialty Survey. Military Medicine. 2022; 187(3-4):e518-e526.
- Guenther TM, Spruce MW, Bach LM, Caples CM, Beyer CA, Grayson JK, Meyers FJ, Palmieri TL, Brown IE. High Versus Low Volume Fluid Resuscitation Strategies in a Porcine Model (Sus scrofa) of Combined Thermal and Traumatic Brain Injury. Shock. 2021; 55(4):536-544.
- Yamashiro KJ, Galganski LA, Grayson JK, Johnson MA, Beyer CA, Spruce MW, Caples CM, Trappey AF, Wishy AM, Stephenson JT. Does the Pediatric Hemodynamic Cliff Exist in Response to Hemorrhagic Shock? J Ped Surg. 2020; 55(12):2543-2547.
- Spruce MW, Thomas DM, Anderson JE, Ortega JC, Mortazavi K, Galante JM. Trauma as an Entry Point to the Health Care System: An Analysis of Unmanaged Comorbidities in 1000 Trauma Patients. JAMA Surg. 2020; 155(10):982-984.
- Spruce MW, Beyer CA, Caples CM, DeSoucy ES, Kashtan HW, Hoareau GL, Grayson JK, Johnson MA. Pharmacokinetics of Tranexamic Acid Given as an Intramuscular Injection Compared to Intravenous Infusion in a Swine Model of Ongoing Hemorrhage. Shock. 2020; 53(6):754-760
- Spruce MW, Bowman JA, Wilson AJ, Galante JM. Improving Incidental Finding Documentation in Trauma Patients Amidst Poor Access to Follow Up Care. J Surg Res. 2020; 248:62-68.
- Yamashiro KJ, Galganski LA, Grayson JK, Johnson MA, Beyer CA, Spruce MW, Caples CM, Trappey AF, Wishy AM, Stephenson JT. Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA) in a Pediatric Swine Model: Is 60 Minutes Too Long? JTACS. 2020; 89(4):616-622.
- Hoareau GL, Beyer CA, Caples CM, Spruce MW, Gilbert Z, Grayson JK, Neff LP, Williams TK, Johnson MA. Esmolol reduces myocardial injury induced by resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta (REBOA) in a porcine model of hemorrhagic shock. Injury. 2020; 51(10):2165-2171.
- Johnson MA, Hoareau GL, Beyer CA, Caples CM, Spruce MW, Grayson JK, Neff LP, Williams TK. Not Ready for Prime Time: Intermittent versus Partial REBOA for Prolonged Hemorrhage Control in a Highly Lethal Injury. JTACS. 2020; 88(2):298-304.
- Hoareau GL, Beyer CA, Caples CA, Spruce MW, Grayson JK, Neff LP, Williams TK, Johnson MA. Automated partial versus complete resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta for the management of hemorrhagic shock in a pig model of polytrauma: a randomized controlled pilot study. Military Medicine. 2020. Epub ahead of print.
- Beyer CA, Hoareau GL, Kashtan HW, Wishy AM, Caples CM, Spruce MW, Grayson JK, Neff LP, Williams TK, Johnson MA. Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA) in a Swine Model of Hemorrhagic Shock and Blunt Thoracic Injury. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2019. Epub ahead of print.
- Quick JA, Winkler MF, Leroy MJ, Ahmad S, Barnes SL. Candida Dubliniensis Necrotizing Soft Tissue Infection following Elective Surgery. Open J Clin Med Case Rep. 2016; 1194.
- Spruce MW, Thomas DM, Ortega JC, Mortazavi K, Anderson JE, Galante JM. Trauma as the patient’s path to primary care: An analysis of 1000 trauma patients. Podium presentation at the 91st Annual Meeting of the Pacific Coast Surgical Association. Carlsbad, CA, Feb 15, 2020.
- Spruce MW, Gingrich AA, Adams MG, Rea M, Guralnick S. A Wellness Black Hole: Multi-Specialty Institutional Approaches to Parenting and Childcare in Graduate Medical Education. Accepted as a small group discussion at the 2020 WGEA Conference in Pacific Grove, CA on March 30, 2020 and at the Association of Pediatric Program Directors Meeting in San Diego, CA on April 1, 2020 (both cancelled due to COVID-19).
- Spruce MW, Beyer CA, Caples CM, DeSoucy ES, Kashtan HW, Hoareau GL, Grayson JK, Johnson MA. Rapid Intramuscular Injection of Tranexamic Acid Is Equivalent to Intravenous Infusion During Hemorrhage in a Porcine (Sus scrofa) Model of Hemorrhagic Shock. Podium presentation at the UC Davis Department of Surgery Research Symposium in Sacramento, CA on April 23, 2019
- Spruce MW, Cox J, Wilson A, Galante J. (2019) IF Then: What to Do with Incidental Findings. Presented at the Northern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, Berkeley, CA, March 16, 2019.
Abstracts and Poster Presentations:
- Spruce MW, Phares A, Richards KM, Salcedo ES. Trauma-Informed Care and Secondary Traumatization: Knowledge, Attitudes, and Education of General Surgery Residents. Accepted for presentation at Association for Surgical Education Surgical Education Week in Seattle, WA, April 2020 (cancelled due to COVID-19).
- Spruce MW, Beyer CA, Caples CM, DeSoucy ES, Kashtan HW, Hoareau GL, Grayson JK, Johnson MA. Rapid Intramuscular Injection of Tranexamic Acid Is Equivalent to Intravenous Infusion During Hemorrhage in a Porcine (Sus scrofa) Model of Hemorrhagic Shock. Poster presented at the 42nd Annual Conference on Shock. Coronado, CA, June 10, 2019.
- Also presented and awarded first place in the poster competition at the 2019 Military Health System Research Symposium, Kissimmee, FL, August 21, 2019.
- Spruce MW, Beyer CA, Caples CM, Grayson JK, Meyers F, Palmieri TL, Brown IE. Precision Medicine for Complex Trauma Involving TBI and Burn. Poster presented at 2019 MHSRS, Kissimmee, FL, August 21, 2019.
- Spruce MW, Jurkovich GJ, Williams CA, Cocanour CS. (2017) Comparison of Unplanned Intubation Between NSQIP and TQIP: What are the Implications for Developing Quality Improvement Interventions? Poster presented at the TQIP Annual Scientific Meeting and Training, Chicago, IL, November 2017.
- Winkler MF, Van Doren SR, Palmier MO. The role of matrix metalloproteinase activity in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Poster presented at the University of Missouri-Columbia Life Sciences Center Research Forum, Columbia, MO, 2010.
- Chang CH, Winkler MF, Van Doren SR, Palmier MO, Reinero CR. Matrix metalloproteinase activity in asthmatic and non-asthmatic cats. Poster presented at the Veterinary Comparative Respiratory Society Meeting, Raleigh, NC, October 2010.
- Improving Access to Primary Care Resources for Uninsured Trauma Patients, A Prospective Clinical Study. Status: Ongoing
- Management of Blunt and Penetrating Liver Injuries. AAST Multi-institutional trial. Status: Ongoing
Patients Seen At
One Barnes-Jewish Hospital Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63110
11133 Dunn Road
St. Louis, MO 63136
To contact an Acute & Critical Care surgeon, please call 314-362-5298.