Missouri Medical College founded as part of Kemper College. Noted surgeon Joseph Nash McDowell was its dean.
St. Louis Medical College founded as part of Saint Louis University (separated from SLU in 1855). Its early lead surgeon was Charles Alexander Pope.
St. Louis Medical College becomes Medical Department of Washington University (Washington University School of Medicine established).
Evarts Graham appointed first Bixby Professor and full-time chairman of the Department of Surgery. Soon after, he establishes “chest service” for thoracic surgery. Graham serves until 1951.
Department researchers develop cholecystography for visualization of the gallbladder.
Vilray Blair appointed first division chief of plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Construction completed on Rand-Johnson Surgical Wing at Barnes Hospital.
Evarts Graham performs first successful one-stage pneumonectomy for cancer.
James Barrett Brown joins U.S. Army as European Senior Consultant in Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery. Brown assembles a large team of plastic surgeons to treat wounded veterans returning from World War II, leading to new techniques and strengthening plastic surgeons’ role in hand reconstruction.
Carl Moyer named chairman. He serves until 1965.
Justin Cordonnier becomes first full-time head of urologic surgery.
Washington University Medical Center established.
William Newton performs Barnes Hospital’s first kidney transplant.
Walter Ballinger named chairman. He serves until 1978.
Separate clinical service for pediatric cardiothoracic patients created at St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
Pediatric surgery division established.
Kidney transplant program established at Barnes Hospital.
Samuel Wells Jr. named chairman. He serves until 1997.
Washington University surgeons establish world’s 16th liver transplant program at Barnes Hospital.
Researchers in cardiothoracic surgery division led by James Cox develop surgical cure for atrial fibrillation.
Cardiothoracic surgery division creates separate service for general thoracic surgery.
Urologic surgery division performs first laparoscopic nephrectomy.
Washington University Institute for Minimally Invasive Surgery (WUIMIS) established.
Barnes-Jewish Hospital created by merger of Barnes Hospital and The Jewish Hospital of St. Louis.
Washington University transplant surgeons at Barnes-Jewish Hospital perform first adult-to-adult living donor liver transplant in the United States.
Current Bixby Professor and chairman Timothy Eberlein appointed.
Timothy Eberlein appointed director of the Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine.
Opening of Center for Advanced Medicine adjacent to the old Jewish Hospital as site for providing state-of-the-art outpatient care.
New modified Cox-Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation – developed by Washington University cardiac surgeons – shown to be as effective as traditional open procedure.
Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center designated a Comprehensive Cancer Center by National Cancer Institute.
Twenty-eight new operating rooms, cardiothoracic ICU open at Barnes-Jewish Hospital as part of three-year renewal project.
Section of Minimally Invasive Surgery established within the Division of General Surgery.
First U.S. incision-free procedure for obesity performed at Washington University.
Division of Public Health Sciences founded to prevent disease, promote health and improve quality and access to health care.
Nerve transplant pioneer Susan Mackinnon, MD, develops nerve transfer technique to restore hand function in quadriplegic patient.
Transplant surgeons publish 10-year study supporting retrieval of organs from donors in a regional stand-alone facility, which is less costly than hospital-based retrieval.