Mark H. Hoofnagle, MD, PhD
- Emergency general surgery
- Surgical critical care
- Chest wall reconstruction
- Skin and soft tissue reconstruction
- General surgical procedures
Common Diagnoses Treated
- Rib and sternal fractures
- Traumatic injury from blunt and penetrating mechanisms
- Necrotizing soft tissue infections
- Bowel obstruction
- Mesenteric ischemia
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Feeding access
Surgical Critical Care
MD/PHD: University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA, 2009
General Surgery Residency, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2009-2016
Surgical Critical Care and Trauma, Acute Care, and Emergency General Surgery Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2016-2018
American Association for the Advancement of Science (Member, 1995-present)
American College of Surgeons (Associate Fellow, 2009-2019, Fellow 2020 – present)
Society of Critical Care Medicine (Member, 2016 – present)
Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (Member, 2017 – present)
American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (Associate Fellow 2019-2021, Fellow 2021 – present)
North American Vascular Biology Organization (Member, 2019 – present)
American Heart Association, Council on ATVB, Council on PVD (Member, 2019 – present)
Shock Society (Member 2019 – present)
Awards and Honors
- Thurston R. Adams Prize for Research (2012, 2013)
- General Surgery Research Retreat Junior Resident Award (2013)
- Funding Awards
- 1T32CA154274-01 T32 Training Grant in Cancer biology (UMD) (2011-2013)
Graduate Funding Awards
- 5T32HL007284-28 T32 Cardiovascular Research Training Grant (UVA) (2003-2005)
- 2000-2002 2T32GM007267-22A1 Medical Scientist Training Program Grant (UVA) (2000-2002)
- Graduation Magna Cum Laude, Honors in Physics (1999)
- Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society (1999)
- Inducted into Sigma Pi Sigma, Physics National Honor Society (1999)
- Elected Bucknell University SGA congressman (1998)
- Elected to Bucknell University Appropriations Committee (1997)
- Elected to Bucknell University Judicial Board (1996)
Areas of Research Interest
Basic Science: Our ACCS lab studies the physiologic changes in the trauma patient and factors contributing to deep venous thrombosis, acute lung injury and sepsis. I study the interactions between the vasculature and the coagulation system that result in traumatically injured and critically-ill patients being more susceptible to blood clots and venous thromboembolism.
Clinical: As part of the ACCS division I perform research evaluating outcomes in trauma patients related to DVT prophylaxis, antibiotics use and transfusion. Research projects include evaluation of outcomes in COVID patients, DVT, surgical site infection, trauma resuscitation and mass transfusion, whole blood and traumatic brain injury.
Policy: I study the effects of public policy on the gun violence epidemic, with a focus on the interactions between state laws and gun trafficking, as well as state policies on abortion restriction and maternal mortality.
- Gobaud AN, Morrison CN, Mehranbod CA, Hoofnagle MH. Gun shows and universal background check laws across state lines. Preventive medicine. 2022:107094.
- Snyder JA, Schuerer DJ, Bochicchio GV, Hoofnagle MH. When REBOA grows wings: Resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta to facilitate aeromedical transport. Trauma Case Reports. 2022;38:100622.
- Turnbull IR, Fuchs A, Remy KE, et al. Dysregulation of the leukocyte signaling landscape during acute COVID-19. PloS one. 2022;17(4):e0264979.
- Leonard, Jennifer M., Christina X. Zhang, Liang Lu, Mark H. Hoofnagle, Anja Fuchs, Regina A. Clemens, Sarbani Ghosh, Shin-Wen Hughes, Grant V. Bochicchio, Richard Hotchkiss, and Isaiah R. Turnbull. 2021. ‘Extrathoracic multiple trauma dysregulates neutrophil function and exacerbates pneumonia-induced lung injury’, The journal of trauma and acute care surgery, 90: 924-34. DOI: 10.1097/ta.0000000000003147.
- Isaiah R Turnbull, Monty B Mazer, Mark H Hoofnagle, John P Kirby, Jennifer M Leonard, Carlos Mejia-Chew, Andrej Spec, Jane Blood, Sydney M Miles, Eric M Ransom, Robert F Potter, Joseph P Gaut, Kenneth E Remy, Richard S Hotchkiss, IL-7 Immunotherapy in a Non-Immunocompromised Patient with Intractable Fungal Wound Sepsis, Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 2021;, ofab256, https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofab256
- Addante AN, Eisenberg DL, Valentine MC, Leonard J, Maddox KEJ, Hoofnagle MH. The association between state-level abortion restrictions and maternal mortality in the United States, 1995-2017. Contraception. 2021 Mar 26:S0010-7824(21)00090-1. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2021.03.018. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33781761.
- Ariana N Gobaud, Christopher N Morrison, Christina A Mehranbod, Mark Hoofnagle. GUN SHOWS AND BACKGROUND CHECK LAWS ACROSS STATE LINES. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. In Preparation.
- Nahmias J, Zakrison TL, Haut ER, Gurney O, Joseph B, Hendershot K, Ghneim M, Stey A, Hoofnagle MH, Bailey Z., Rattan R., Santos R, Zarzaur B. Recommendations for Standardizing Definitions for Race, Ethnicity, Sex, and Gender in Surgical Research. Annals of Surgery, In Review.
- Turnbull, I., Fuchs, A., Remy, K., Kelly, M., Frazier, E., Ghosh, S., Chang, S. W., Mazer, M., Hess, A., Leonard, J., Hoofnagle, M., Colonna, M., & Hotchkiss, R. (2021). Dysregulation of the Leukocyte Signaling Landscape during Acute COVID-19. Research square, rs.3.rs-244150. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-244150/v1
- Hoofnagle, Mark H, Ronnie N Mubang, K Joseph D’Andrea, Bellal A Joseph, Ashley Britton Christmas, and Tanya L Zakrison. “Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Statement on Structural Racism, and the Deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor.” Annals of Surgery 272, no. 6 (2020): 911.
- Fuchs, Anja, Shin-Wen Chang, Sarbani Ghosh, Grant V Bochicchio, Mark H Hoofnagle, Jennifer M Leonard, and Isaiah Turnbull. “Pd-1+ Hematopoietic Stem Cells Induced by Trauma Have Increased Clonogenic Potential.” Paper presented at the SHOCK, 2020.
- Hoofnagle MH, Andrade EG, Kaufman E, Seamon MJ, Pah AR, Morrison CN. Firearm laws and illegal firearm flow between US states. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020;88(6):752-759.
- Welsh, J. D., M. H. Hoofnagle, S. Bamezai, M. Oxendine, L. Lim, J. D. Hall, J. Yang, S. Schultz, J. D. Engel, T. Kume, G. Oliver, J. M. Jimenez and M. L. Kahn (2019). “Hemodynamic regulation of perivalvular endothelial gene expression prevents deep venous thrombosis.” The Journal of Clinical Investigation 129(12).
- Pfaff MJ, Mukhopadhyay S, Hoofnagle M, Chabasse C, Sarkar R. Tumor suppressor protein p53 negatively regulates ischemia-induced angiogenesis and arteriogenesis. J Vasc Surg. 2018.
- Hoofnagle MH, Neppl RL, Berzin EL, et al. Myocardin is differentially required for the development of smooth muscle cells and cardiomyocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;300(5):H1707-1721.
Patients Seen At
1 Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza
St. Louis, MO 63110
- “Without Roe v. Wade, U.S. Maternal Mortality Rates May Get Even Worse,” Time Magazine
- “Overturning Roe v. Wade Could Make Maternal Mortality Even Worse,” FiveThirtyEight
- “The Link Between America’s Rising Maternal Mortality Rates and Abortion,” Salon
- “The Hidden Side of Overturning Roe v. Wade,” Business Insider
- “Restrictive State Abortions Bans – A Reproductive Injustice,” The New England Journal of Medicine
- “WashU Surgeon Works to Reduce Gun Violence,” Fox2News St. Louis
- “Episode 168: Battling False Science: How Physicians Can Help Patients Discover the Truth with Dr. Mark Hoofnagle,” – Docworking: The Whole Physician Podcast
- “A Town Hall Discussion on Gun Violence,” West End Word
- “Clay’s Town Hall Meeting on Gun Violence Brings Outpouring of Emotion,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- “U.S. Rep Lacy Clay: We’ve Reached a Tipping Point on Gun Violence,” St. Louis Public Radio
- “How COVID-19 Can Lead To Amputation– And Other Potential Cardiovascular System Complications to Know,” Self
- “Gun Violence: St. Louis’ Other Public Health Crisis,” Department of Surgery News
To request an appointment with Dr. Hoofnagle, please call 314-362-5298