Michael Brunt, MD
- Phone: 314-454-8877
- Minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Athletic groin injuries
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Hiatal hernia repair/reflux treatment
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Sports hernias/core muscle injury
- Abdominal wall hernias
Common Diagnoses Treated
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Inguinal hernia
- Femoral hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Hiatal hernia
- Biliary tract disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Foregut disorders
- Solid organ surgery (adrenal, spleen)
- Complex gallbladder
- Athletic hernia
- Groin pain
- Adrenal surgery
American Board of Surgery
Medical School: 1980, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
1987, General Surgery Residency, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (Past-President)
American College of Surgeons
American Surgical Association
Central Surgical Association (Past-President)
Americas Hernia Society
American Forget Society
Southern Surgical Association
Association for Surgical Education
Fellowship Council – President
Awards and Honors
- Clinical Teacher of the Year Award, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2019
- Samuel A. Goldstein Leadership Award in Medical Student Education, Washington University School of Medicine, 2002
- Distinguished Clinician Award, Washington University School of Medicine, 2009
- AOA, (Faculty Election) – 2012
- Philip J. Wolfson Outstanding Teacher Award, Association for Surgical Education, 2013.
- Honorary Membership, The Korean Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons (KSELS) 2015.
- Honorary Membership, Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Society of Asia (ELSA), 2015
- Honorary Membership, Japanese Society of Endoscopic Surgeons, 2021
- Department of Surgery Faculty Teaching Award for Resident and Medical Student Education, 2020-2021 Academic Year
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Johns Hopkins University 2021.
- Lifetime Achievement ‘Master Physician’ Award, Barnes-Jewish Hospital Medical Staff Association November 2021
- The role of biologic mesh in the treatment of paraesophageal hernia
- Outcomes of surgical treatment of athletic pubalgia
Areas of Research Interest
Clinical outcome studies in minimally invasive/ laparoscopic surgery, safety in laparoscopic cholecystectomy, surgical education/medical student preparation for surgical residency, sports hernias, adrenal surgery
Developed a skills course for 4th year medical students entering a surgical residency that evolved into the Capstone course now required for all 4th year medical students
Brunt LM, Deziel DJ, Telem DA, et al, and the Prevention of Bile Duct Injury Consensus Work Group. Safe Cholecystectomy Multi-Society Practice Guideline and State of the Art Consensus Conference on Prevention of Bile duct Injury during Cholecystectomy Ann Surg 2020; 272:3-23; co-publication Surg Endosc 2020; 34: 2827-2855. PMID: 32404658.
Tan WH, Yu J, Feaman S, McAllister JM, Kahan LG, Quasebarth M, Blatnik JA, Eagon JC, Awad MM, Brunt LM. Opioid medication use in the surgical patient: an assessment of prescribing patterns and use. J Am Coll Surg 2018; 227:203-211. PMID: 29746919.
Brunt LM. SAGES presidential address: A SAGES Magical Mystery Tour. Surg Endosc 2015; 29:3423-3431. DOI 10.1007/s00464-015-4524-z 129. PMID: 26416375.
Gershuni V, Woodhouse J, Brunt LM. Retention of suturing and knot-tying skills in senior medical students after proficiency-based training: Results of a prospective randomized trial. Surgery 2013: 154:823-830. Doi 10.1016/jsurg.2013.07.016. PMID: 24074421.
Brunt LM. SAGES guidelines for minimally invasive treatment of adrenal pathology. Surg Endosc 2013;27:3957-3959. PMID: 23996338.
Bittner JB IV, Brunt LM. Evaluation and management of adrenal incidentaloma. J Surg Oncol 2012; 106:557-64. PMID: 22623268.
- Heron Therapeutics (Research Support)
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
Patients Seen At
Center for Advanced Medicine
4921 Parkview Place
Floor 8, Suite C
St. Louis, MO 63110
To request an appointment with Dr. Brunt, please call (314) 454-8877.