- Tissue Engineering
- Regenerative Medicine
- PhD in Bioengineering, Clemson University, Charleston, SC
- Postdoc Training at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Society For Biomaterials
- Biomedical Engineering Society
Activities, Awards and Honors
- 2010 – 2012 AHA Predoctoral Fellowship
- 2013 – 2015 Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2018 – 2021 AHA Career Development Award
Areas of Research Interest
My research program is to develop biomaterials platforms for regenerative medicine, with specific interest in applications of biomaterials for angiogenesis and vascularization, stem cell engineering, and tissue regeneration. We focus on exploiting bioengineering strategies for tissue regeneration by combining the principles of biomaterial science, biological science, stem cell biology, tissue engineering, regenerative medicine with the advanced techniques in molecular and cell biology. Specifically, we aim to develop biomaterial approaches to induce a permissive microenvironment to improve efficiency of stem cell therapies for regeneration of injured/diseased tissues. We also apply biomaterial platforms to influence endogenous cell fates to promote functional tissue regeneration.
- Xiaowei Li, Ning Zhang, Xuejun Wen. Methods and compositions for cell culture platform. US Patent 8609409.
- Xuesong Jiang, Sashank Reddy, Gerald Brandacher, Hai-Quan Mao, Justin Sacks, Xiaowei Li, Kevin Feng, Russell Martin. Composite material for tissue restoration. US Patent App. 16/533,375.
- Sashank Reddy, Russell Martin, Xiaowei Li, Calvin Chang, Kevin Colbert, Hai-Quan Mao. Nanofiberhydrogel composites for cell and tissue delivery. US Patent App. 16/515,946.
- Russell Martin, Sashank Reddy, Justin Sacks, Xiaowei Li, Brian Cho, Hai-Quan Mao. Fiber-hydrogel composite surgical meshes for tissue repair. US Patent App. 16/660,431.
Academic Office Mailing Address
Washington University School of Medicine
Clinical Sciences Research Building, Room 6626
4925 Children’s Place
St. Louis, MO 63110